The Commercial Producers Association of South Africa (CPA) is a professional trade association of film companies specializing in the production of television commercials and offering a number of key benefits and services to members.
- The CPA communicates and advises producers on all important issues pertinent to the Industry.
- The CPA provides an advisory service to members. The CPA has also contracted the services of a full time unit manager to assist members shooting in Cape Town with any difficulties they may encounter.
- The CPA is a networking platform for those working within the sector.
- The CPA provides an on-line resource to members whereby they are able to access all the CPA’s information, documentation and intellectual property
- The CPA negotiates standard agreements and contracts with clients and suppliers
- The CPA provides a legal framework through which to operate – the production agreements – for both local and international commercials
- The CPA negotiates with crew and cast to formulate recommended working guidelines and contracts
- The CPA provides legal guidance and advice to members on a range of issues, including labour and tax, VAT, work permits and visas, child labour legislation and permits, health & safety, locations, insurance, copyright etc.
- The CPA promotes transformation and training within the industry and facilitates training courses and programs
- The CPA mediates disputes between members, clients and suppliers
- The CPA researches the size and scope of the industry and identifies new trends, opportunities and challenges. An industry wide survey is conducted once ever year.
- The CPA has a seat on the Board of the Loeries and is involved in judging the annual Loerie Craft Awards for film & television. The CPA promotes the recognition of directors and production companies in the creative process involved in producing award winning commercials.
- The CPA lobbies government and other interest groups to ensure that legislation is favourable and in the best interests of industry growth and development
- The CPA lobbies for a film friendly and conducive production environment
- The CPA is a trouble-shooter which identifies and resolves problems before they impact negatively or become barriers to entry for industry
- The CPA professionalizes the industry by inclucating a culture of ethics and promoting standards of professionalism and accountability to which members subscribe
- The CPA promotes its membership to advertising agencies in South Africa and also to international agencies and production companies
- The CPA is a dynamic think tank which proposes and implements new ideas and practices within the industry. The success of the industry is, in part, due to the positive collaboration between competitive companies.
- In light of the above, we strongly recommend that advertising agencies and international clients work exclusively with reputable CPA members to ensure both peace of mind and the best possible results.
The CPA is committed to partnering its members to ensure that the commercial production industry in South Africa has a vibrant and exciting future.
Please note that only companies which produce television commercials are eligible for membership. Subscription fees are R18,000.00 (Excl VAT) per annum and are payable in July each year.